Saturday 1 May 2010

Look Deeper, Think More.

Tidying my notes so that I can start work I was distracted by old notebooks. In these I found various extracts of novel ideas but my treasure was a fragmented rant in odd notations over two pages. I didn’t understand any of my ramblings until I got to the second page and realised this was in fact my retaliation to Torchwood Children of Earth programme that was on the television last year.


Remembering those episodes still chill me to the bone, it had in fact disrupted my sleep for two weeks, and I think I had written this rant after four sleepless nights but couldn’t finish it as it freaked me that bad.

Although I can laugh at it now it really had me upset at that point, but I blog this rant because it provides amusement and I still feel I held a certain philosophical point of humanity perception in the media.



WARNING: nonsensical rant to follow. Seriously.



Within this production the Government are portrayed as all high class citizens but they are completely secretive and so the public is given great reason to distrust every one of them, none have a redeeming characteristic; which eradicates hope for society to believe in their rulers.


The other side of this is that they stipulate low class families and council estate schools will not spawn anyone of decency and prestige for the community or on a national level. These are the people chosen to suffer greater loss; because they are thought inferior with no evidence.


The programme has only two pure protagonists, one of which dies and the other cries, a lot. They destroy innocence, and it is shown as ok. They eradicate what we perceive is right and show humanity as unprepared for drugs and terrorism. They combine these immoral acts and use the destruction of innocence to solve the problems for a short term and quick answer, making it seem like the right choice. It has fed the paranoia of the nation against the government and their lack of use.


I am not demanding happily ever after in all programmes, but the cast read every word but did they really read the script? Can we call this entertainment?


The special effects were very good.


The story was captivating.


The fear was genuine.


The acting was worthy of praise (except the daughter/mother Alice who always looked like she was smiling).


But is this what we are degraded to? When it gets bad, when we have done wrong, what should we do? Run away? Don’t look back? At least that is what the idol does.


This is Adult TV maybe but plenty of kids watch it, and even adults are susceptible to propaganda and the influence of such negative messages.


As an avid media consumer and analyser I can’t help but respect this production. It has had a phenomenal effect on my emotions; I am unable to even sleep! It has inspired me to write this. But I am ashamed to enjoy it. I see no hope.


By all means watch it, consume it and applaud it. But learn from the lessons it hides- we have much to do before we can be proud to be human, till we can be proud to have Earth. Fiction plays no part in truth, but fiction is born of truth known by the beholder and creator. You just have to look deeper, you just have to think more.



Like I said, grade A nonsensical rant. Even I know it doesn’t make sense, contradicts and some of it is just downright false when you really analyse it. It’s just when you have a mother screaming her child’s name as she watches him die every time you shut your eyes you tend to forget and negate technicalities. Some of it is quite inspiring. It is intriguing what the mind will think, and what someone can write in the heat of the moment when usually they enjoy articulating reviews and arguments. If someone were to read the above rant they would not comprehend that I usually review for a past time and have even won awards for such things because it is so badly laid out and constructed.

Trying to type up these ranting notes I did cringe many a time and almost stopped completely. However I kept going because I needed to. I had to document this bad piece of writing purely because it describes exactly what you mustn’t do. Subjectivity can enlighten work, but when you base it entirely on emotion, especially in an emotional state it will destroy the principle and the persuasiveness as it is just nonsense. (Destroy it like torchwood destroyed innocence ;D). Objectivity is important in communication as it takes you outside your own views so that you can critically understand the piece of work you are analysing. Without this, it is boring and frustrating to read.

The last line though is the best, and I think humanity really should act upon it.

Look deeper, think more.

No comments:

Post a Comment